Skip to main content

Singleness of Purpose

I was at a meeting tonight where an N.A. guy raised his hand and went on and on about his frustrations with the local meetings of his fellowship.  Rather than bore you with the details, suffice it to say that a woman spoke shortly afterward and assured him that he would be welcome "at any A.A. meeting, regardless of whether he was an alcoholic or addict - a substance is a substance."

 

Sorry, but I beg to differ with her.  I owe it to the newcomer to keep the focus on alcoholism and not try to be all things to all people.  Moreover, she had no right to speak for all of A.A. in her assertion that he would be welcome "at all meetings."  He would not.  I know of one or two closed A.A. meetings where he would be required to identify himself as an alcoholic and confine his speech to recovery from alcoholism.

 

The early members of our fellowship were attentive enough to learn from the mistakes of other groups, such as the Washingtonians - who tried to address several different issues.  Their split focus finally destroyed a promising young fellowship from which we derived much of what we have in Alcoholics Anonymous today.  We must be careful not to follow the same course.

 

When I first came to Alcoholics Anonymous it was very important that I find somewhere to "fit in" and become apart of.  Had the focus been in several different directions with attention to a multitude of issues I doubt I would have stayed.  I needed a name to call myself (alcoholic) and people that I could sense that common bond with in order to do what they did and find recovery from this potentially fatal disease.

 

What are your thoughts?  I'd love to hear your point of view.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Favorite Bible Version

Today's Question: Do you have a favorite Bible translation or version, and, if so, what is it? Please get back to me and let me know. Please also include what it is that you like about it more than others, if anything?

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...