Skip to main content

Wanting To Do The Right Thing

We love because he first loved us. - 1 John 4:19 (NIV)

This morning, I picked up my wife's copy of a devotional publication she receives called Our Daily Bread. In today's reading, the author talks about a children's ministry where the kids are rewarded for their good behavior with prizes. One boy, who is offered a reward for behaving well, refuses it and says that he behaves well because he wants to and doesn't need a prize for doing as he wishes. When we love God, we wish to please Him. We should all strive to be like that young boy in the story and do the right thing because we want to, expecting nothing in return. Of course, the hard part is that, as believers in Christ, we know there's a reward!

So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. -2 Corinthians 5:9 (NIV)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...