Skip to main content

Committing to a Home Group

And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. -Hebrews 10:25 (NLT)
 
One of the best things I ever did after joining the fellowship was to commit to a home group. I often hear people say they belong to "the best group in the fellowship" or something similar -- I guess it's great that they feel that way. In fact, I think that we should always feel that way. Join a home group right away. You're not getting married. If the group doesn't work out for you, then find another. In most places, there's more than enough to choose from.

For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.” -Matthew 18:20 (NLT)



A home group is the place where (after a while) we get to know each other very well and can tell with something is wrong or we're feeling a little off. It is the best place to start with a service commitment. Do you remember the old saying that "charity begins at home?" In much the same way, the argument can be made for a Christian attending a regular place of worship and being involved with the fellowship there regularly and intimately. "Join a Church" is one of the first things you hear after being saved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...