Skip to main content

More on A.A. and Christianity

AA meeting sign
So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. -Romans 7:14-17 (NLT)

Alcoholism: is it a disease or is it simply sin? (from the outset of this post, let me state that the words alcoholism and addiction are considered interchangeable for the purposes of this writing). How we view alcoholism is key to how it is treated. How we see it and what it really is may differ, but the key issue is getting the symptoms relieved so the soul can be treated.

For the record: I am an alcoholic/addict-- I have known this for many years and am 16+ years sober. I attend a 12 step fellowship, have a sponsor, am a sponsor and am involved in the service structure of the fellowship I belong to. I am also a born-again Christian and attend an evangelical, bible-believing church. Most of the meetings I attend are held in more mainstream, liberal protestant and Roman Catholic churches. Others are held in various municipal or private facilities and hospitals. I know of only one in my area that is held at a conservative, evangelical church. Only one. Why is that? I believe I think I can answer that. Read on...

Many evangelical Christians regard alcoholism as sin and nothing more. They don't buy the concept of it as a disease-- something taught in A.A. and most fellowships that I know of. I'll address the whole 'disease' idea a little later in this post. While they often sympathize with the plight of an addict or alcoholic, it is something many believe can be remedied by prayer and a complete surrender to God. I agree. But how we get there is an issue I often differ with many of my brothers and sisters over. Alcoholics Anonymous and its offspring are secular fellowships that were begun using Christian teachings (whether some will admit it or not). In order to secure the widest possible base and make recovery from alcoholism easier, the requirement of any sort of rigid theology was left out. Many folks would not come through the door if they thought that belief in any sort of deity was required. It has always been God as you understand Him and nothing more. A Christian will tell you that there is only one way to view God and to approach Him: Jesus Christ. That is the view I take myself.  They are upset with the idea that a Christian would support the idea of a "how you understand Him" approach. However, I believe in a 'first things first" approach to the problem-- and that's the difference. I learned early on to take care of things in the order in which they are killing you.

Alcoholics Anonymous (and other twelve step fellowships that I am aware of) are not in the business of saving souls in the eternal sense-- their mission is to help people recover from alcoholism. They do not try or pretend to be a religion. What some may make of it is their own affair and not done at the urging of the membership as a whole. Once the person is freed from the grip of alcohol and start to think for themselves, they are free to choose whatever religion they wish (or not). This is no different than it was the day they walked through the door to their first meeting-- only now they are hopefully sober. God gives us all a free choice. A.A. and other fellowships give people the chance to make that choice, unencumbered by alcohol. In that regard, they should be viewed no different than a health clinic or hospital. their job is to clean the person up so they can make decisions while not "under the influence."

When people first come to a fellowship like A.A. or N.A. they are generally at the end of their rope and seeking immediate relief from the problem of their addiction-- not for a closer walk with God. In fact, many have been turned off by the idea because of an experience with pompous, judgmental "church types" who always seem to know what is best for everybody but themselves. Maybe they tried the church route and failed. Whatever their experience, the idea of God is not what drives them through the door into their first meeting. They are desperate-- as desperate as only the dying can be. Often they don't notice the sprinkling of the word God throughout the steps, or choose to ignore it because they've no place left to go. At least, when it is noticed, there is not a lot one needs to think about at the very beginning of their sobriety. They simply need to get used to the idea. That's where Christians come in...

The best Christian witness I know of involves walking the walk. We can talk a good game at church or small group-- but are we living it? If somebody runs into us at 3 AM in the 24 hr. grocery store, are we smiling? Are we allowing the light of Christ to shine? Are we active in service, giving to others and taking the second most important commandment Christ mentioned seriously? If we are truly happy, joyous and free then others will see that wish to know how we got that way. Enter the GOSPEL...

I firmly believe, when it comes to alcoholics and addicts, that it is good to get them used to the idea of God and then present the one true God to them and the only way to get there. It is easy to go to church and witness to the choir, where most are [hopefully] saved anyway-- because it's nice and safe. Quite another to let people get to know you and hear your story. Quite another to enter the mission field. When we share at 12 step meetings it is not hard to get the gospel message out there-- we are simply explaining God as we understand Him!

Disease or Sin?
People in 12 step fellowships refer to their problem (be it drug addiction, alcoholism, eating disorders, gambling and so on) as a disease. they have heavily-credentialed people back them up on this. who am I to argue with such intellect? I myself refer to it as a disease. Many Christians, however, tell me it is not a disease but is simply sin. To call it a disease, they think, removes from the afflicted individual any responsibility in dealing with it. I disagree with that. But, call it what you will, disease comes from sin, if not one in the same with the alcoholic or addict. Cancer itself is not a sin, but it comes from sin. Humanity was supposed to live forever before the fall in Eden. Sin entered the world and people began to age and die. They contracted disease. So it is safe to say that disease is a product of sin. Clearly disease comes from sin, as Jesus stated when he warned someone He had just healed: Later, Jesus met the man in the temple and told him, “You are now well. But don’t sin anymore or something worse might happen to you.”  -John 5:14 (CEV) I have diabetes. I wasn't born with it (to my knowledge) but acquired it from years of failing to eat right and take care of myself. I can clearly trace it back to my sin. Those who are born with it can trace it back to the sin nature of mankind-- all the way back to the Garden of Eden. Whether or not one losing the power of choice in an addiction is part of their inherent sinful nature, product of a "family disease" [I got it from my parents] or genetic in origin, it can all be traced back to a common origin: SIN. No matter what, left untreated, both sin and disease can kill you-- in the here and now and for all eternity. So you can apply whatever word you wish to the problem, as long as you follow the same treatment plan: JESUS.

The simple fact of the matter is that it is possible to get chemically sober and remain that way without calling on Jesus or acknowledging any sort of deity. Sadly, probably more people do it that way than embrace the God of the Bible. I know this because I am acquainted with self-professed atheists and agnostics who have been sober for a long time. Some profess some sort of "great spirit" idea, others just call on each other for help with the process. Whatever they do, it often works. Now I may call into question the quality of their lives and their overall happiness, because I see the apparent differences between them and followers of Jesus. The peace and security of a relationship with Jesus is without parallel and should be evident to those we come in contact with. The goal of any 12 step program is recovery from whatever problem you are dealing with. A 12 step fellowship can [and should] be a tool for stopping whatever is physically harming you and provide a doorway to a better life-- one with Jesus.

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic?
There's a sticking point with many Christians who believe that God will heal you-- and that once He does, it's forever. Alcoholics in A.A. (for the most part) believe that, once you become an alcoholic, you are one for the rest of your life. How about Paul? He asked for healing and didn't get it. God chose to leave him with certain afflictions, as He knew it would keep him close to Him and dependent. Paul knew this and seemed to be accept it. Let's see what he wrote in the Bible:  even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (NLT) So is it possible that alcoholism is a "thorn in the flesh" for many believers? Sounds plausible to me.

Celebrate Recovery
There is a possible solution to the dilemma many Christians face and the frustration of not being able to mention their Higher Power (JESUS) by name at mainstream secular recovery meetings without feeling persecuted: Celebrate Recovery. Having been to a few of their meetings, I can tell you that they are great (from my Christian perspective) for helping folks with similar/identical issues find recovery in Jesus together. A quick search online will provide more information about the Celebrate Recovery program. I also have information on a page attached to this blog about it.

Final thought: If you're a Christian who got sober using Alcoholics Anonymous or another twelve-step fellowship and have since wandered away, please come back. Become an example and attract people to the point where they ask you about your God or are at least receptive to listening to you explain Him and His wonderful gift of salvation. Win them by attraction rather than promotion in much the same way you were won to sobriety. Twelve step fellowships make great mission fields.

Legalistic folks are never going to agree with the opinions stated here-- any more than a KJV-onlyist is going to recommend NIV or NLT Bibles to anyone. I would ask anybody considering this matter to approach it with an open mind and heart, consulting with God in prayer to know what is right for them in doing His will.



Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth

Finding What You Need

Step 1 in Celebrate Recovery: 1. We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18 NIV One of the things Karen and I have been doing recently is attending a Bible study in another town close to Willimantic where there are many people both new to a relationship with Jesus and also to living sober one day at a time. We have developed a passion for this and Karen, in particular, has reached out to some of the girls that are new (and some not so new) to forge strong friendships as we fellowship together on our journey to be more Christ-like every day. Having been a longtime member of a 12 step organization, I am not so worried about fighting the urge to have another drink or use another drug -- although I know that it is important to remember where I came from, so I don&

One Day At A Time

Early in sobriety everybody said "take it a day at a time" or "one day at a time."  Sometimes, it was 5 minutes at a time.  I sure thought I had a grasp on that concept back then!  Of course, being new, the focus was strictly on going another day without a drink or chemical substitute.  Today the focus tends to be more on confronting those many "faces of fear" I learned of.  I thought those faces existed only to haunt me; through my tenure in this fellowship, I have discovered they actually motivate me to move into a closer relationship with my Higher Power. I relish the spiritual enlightenment that comes with that. As the years advance, I have come to terms with another meaning of living a day at a time, one not so easily defined by words as it is through experience.  During my journey through sobriety, I have experienced many wonderful things, brought about by continually staying sober and gaining years on the planet.  Sometimes those wonderful things