Skip to main content

Finding What You Need

Step 1 in Celebrate Recovery:
1. We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.
For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18 NIV
One of the things Karen and I have been doing recently is attending a Bible study in another town close to Willimantic where there are many people both new to a relationship with Jesus and also to living sober one day at a time. We have developed a passion for this and Karen, in particular, has reached out to some of the girls that are new (and some not so new) to forge strong friendships as we fellowship together on our journey to be more Christ-like every day.

Having been a longtime member of a 12 step organization, I am not so worried about fighting the urge to have another drink or use another drug -- although I know that it is important to remember where I came from, so I don't return. The point of going to meetings on a regular basis is to give back to others what God has so freely given to me. I must remember that it is God who has given me the gift of sobriety, not a group of people or some human organization. It is God, plain and simple. Becuase it is a gift from Him and I am His, I must go where he sends me and do what ever it is He wishes for me to do. Failure to comply with His will for my life always cause me discomfort and robs me of some measure of joy I might have otherwise had.

All of the above having been written, it is important to mention my feelings toward secular 12 step fellowships and why I feel drawn to places like "Celebrate Recovery." Secular 12 step organizations such as Alcoholics Anonymus, Narcotics Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous all have their place in introducing people to the spiritual principles and way of life the steps direct us to. They can be essential in drawing in those who are sick and dying from the disease of addiction and giving them an opportunity to form bonds and build a relationship with a Higher Power who will help them solve their problems -- who might not venture into something they thought "religious" in its nature.

The pastor of the church I attend is talking about having some sort of "recovery church" in the Willimantic area to help serve the needs of those who can identify with the disease of addiction, are not averse to trying a church solution and are willing to do what it takes to find a way out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Favorite Bible Version

Today's Question: Do you have a favorite Bible translation or version, and, if so, what is it? Please get back to me and let me know. Please also include what it is that you like about it more than others, if anything?

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...