Skip to main content

The 'GOD BOX'

Many years ago I attended a twelve step convention in Rhode Island where I heard the keynote speaker that year refer to something called the 'God Box.' This was the place within herself that she tried to put all sorts of things to quell the hunger for something (anything) she had her throughout her life. Sometimes it would be cars, money, sex or anything else that was both quick but temporary at the same time. Eventually, after heartache upon heartache, she came to the conclusion that the only thing that fit in that box was God. It took much time and experience with emptiness for her to get there. She then said that she had no regrets for the things she did and the painful life she had to live to get to the place where she was at. It was that worth it.

Have you ever tried on a pair of shoes that was too large for your feet and then walked around in them for a while? What happens is that they rub against your foot and eventually make you very uncomfortable as you contend with the burning irritation that develops. Such it is with the things that are not God when we try to put them in the box as substitutes.

I had an empty 'God Box' of my own that I constantly tried filling with things that were not Him. They always left me with that insatiable hunger that all addicts know. I was taught that I could make a beginning with God by first acknowledging that there was one and He wasn't me! What a simple, yet profound revelation!

I hope that the reader may find what it is that he or she is looking for to fill the emptiness, the void, the God Box --whatever you have come to call it.


I ask God from the wealth of his glory to give you power through his Spirit to be strong in your inner selves, and I pray that Christ will make his home in your hearts through faith. I pray that you may have your roots and foundation in love, so that you, together with all God's people, may have the power to understand how broad and long, how high and deep, is Christ's love. Yes, may you come to know his love—although it can never be fully known—and so be completely filled with the very nature of God. -Ephesians 3:16-19 (Good News Translation)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Thinking About What You're Thinking About?

That was the topic and title of a sermon I listened to Saturday afternoon on the Internet by a Pastor who I am fond of named Mike Dodson. As usual, his message was timely for me. In conclusion, my friends, fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable. -Philippians 4:8 (GNT) When I got sober, it was [first and foremost] because I was ready and willing to do so and asked God for help. It began (as everything does) with a thought. Often in my life, bad things began with thoughts like "one more time" or "this time will be different." Sometimes, near the end, it was more like "I just can't control myself and don't care anymore. I am what I am." It is true that God does not control thoughts. We have been given free will--which means we have the freedom of our thoughts from which we may act on. Obviously, if God did control thoughts, we would not have...
Those who guard their mouths preserve their lives; those who open wide their lips come to ruin. -Proverbs 13:3 (NRSV) Last night, my wife had posted something political on Facebook (which she often does) and had her first experience with someone who vehemently disagreed with her viewpoint, choosing to respond in an angry manner. He accused her of such things as racism (I know my wife and she is no racist) and was "sad" for her. She was upset, called my attention to it and asked me who he was (she had "friended" him because he was a friend of friends and didn't really know him). I didn't know him, but was angered at his nasty little unfounded comment and accusation, firing back from my account that he should reserve his shame for himself. I also questioned why people can't disagree with the present political climate without being labeled racist?  In the back of my mind as I'm posting it, it occurred to me that it was simply venting and would serve n...

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...