Skip to main content

Smoking and the Steps

Back in June, I wrote in this blog about the importance of our "singleness of purpose."  Now I am writing about smoking cigarettes and the twelve steps of recovery.  As a 12 step recovery program member and author of this blog, how do I justify such an apparent contradiction of philosophy?  Easily... there is no contradiction.  IT'S A MATTER OF PERSONAL SOBRIETY VERSUS FELLOWSHIP SOBRIETY.

Using the steps has removed many obstacles between myself and God, but those things are best discussed one on one and not in an open forum such as a meeting.  One such issue -- a big one at that -- has been cigarettes.  When I decided to surrender to my nicotine addiction, I knew in my heart I could use the same tools I used to be rid of alcohol one day at a time.  The key was being honest with myself about my cigarette addiction and the unmanageable scenario I created with it, open-minded enough to apply the program's principles to it and willing to go to any lengths to break such an unhealthy dependence.
Being part of a fellowship, instead of just going there, means I have made many friends along the way and have witnessed their struggles through the years and have observed them striving to gain victory through surrender.  This treasure chest of spirituality has given me vast resources to deploy in the defeat of my addiction.  They are deployed through prayer and meditation, face-to-face interaction with people contact using the phone and things such as e-mail.  They are not to be employed at gatherings such as meetings that are meant to focus and alcoholism.  How many of us would have stayed if we wandered into a meeting and were told we needed to stop drinking, find a Higher Power, stay out of relationships with the opposite sex for awhile, get a sponsor, home group, and - oh yeah - QUIT SMOKING?  Not many.  We have enough to do in early sobriety as we adjust to a wonderful, full life without alcohol.  I was told early on to take care of that which was killing me in the order in which it was doing so - sound advice that I pass on to others.

IS A PERSON SOBER WHO SMOKES?
By an alcoholic's definition, I would venture to say yes.  The decision to smoke or not has nothing to do with any definition of sobriety and should not.  Our primary purpose is clear and says nothing about smoking.  Abusing drugs is another issue and our organization talks about that as being disruptive to sobriety.  I am sure those who produce the official publications on drug abuse among our membership labored long and hard with the issue of whether or not to address it - but the severity and life-threatening nature of the problem demanded a response.  In general, we must be very careful not to have opinions on outside issues. 

This matter is a personal one.  Being aware that cigarettes were harmful to me and that the fellowship's tools could assist me in breaking that addiction compelled me to act to preserve my personal sobriety.  One definition I read of the word sober was "to be of clear mind."  If I fail to act when the message from my Higher Power is so clear, then I separate myself from Him and, ultimately -- from the rest of the fellowship.  Being alone is a dangerous place for me to be.  It is I alone who would place myself in that position - not the rest of the fellowship.  If we went around placing other requirements on sobriety from alcohol, where would it end?  Well, you're 20 pounds overweight - subtract 1 year from your medallion!  You played poker last night, turn in your medallion and pick up a 24 hr. coin...

All my life has been a struggle to remove the things that separate me from God.  I hope it doesn't end anytime soon, because you know what that means...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...