Skip to main content

Precisely…

From the forward to the book Alcoholics Anonymous:

To show other alcoholics PRECISELY HOW WE HAVE RECOVERED is the main purpose of this book.

I looked up the dictionary definition to the word precisely and found it to mean “indicating exactness…” That doesn’t leave much wiggle room, to be sure! That’s why I love to read the book and follow its directions as closely to the letter as possible.

A good way to get to know the book is through regular attendance at a Big Book study meeting. With the profusion of reading material available to me in any given day via my Kindle or some Web site, it’s easy to overlook the Big Book or tell myself that “I’ll get to it later,” when in fact, I often won’t.

A great resource for Big Book study is (and I hate to say it, but it’s not an A.A. site) anonpress.org – there you can order their study edition Big Books and also download an electronic version of the book for little to no cost, depending on the edition you prefer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Favorite Bible Version

Today's Question: Do you have a favorite Bible translation or version, and, if so, what is it? Please get back to me and let me know. Please also include what it is that you like about it more than others, if anything?

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...