Skip to main content

Holiday Alkathons

A Danish Christmas tree illuminated with burni...

Image via Wikipedia

For those who are unfamiliar with the term “Alkathon,” it refers to a 24 hour event that takes place during the holidays of either Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s eve.  Other people and fellowships may offer something similar (or the same) for holidays not mentioned.  For the sake of this post, I shall confine it to the aforementioned holidays and the name of “Alkathon.” 

Alkathons are usually sponsored by a group or district in a particular area and any donations are used for the event and excess money is given to the district or group that sponsors it.  They are generally made up of continuous meetings and offer food and beverage at no charge to those who show up.  It is a safe place to find fellowship during what can often be a troubling time in the lives of sober people – especially those who are new and/or facing marital, family, health or employment problems.

A key component of an Alkathon, aside from continuous meetings and fellowship, is food.  Actually, food may be considered part of the component of fellowship.  Often associated with socializing, sharing a meal is an integral part of fellowship and expresses a commonality of interest.  Not only that, but trying different things is fun!  Some food may be provided by either the committee’s budget (contributions from groups) or via a “potluck” mechanism.  However it happens, It is important that food and beverages be provided. 

Wherever you live, you can probably find some sort of Alkathon or similar event going on by checking out your fellowship’s district or area meetings and also through announcements at meetings.  If there aren’t any, why not start one?  Such things are so vital to the spiritual health of the membership in general at difficult times of the year.

In my district, planning meetings will be starting in September and held at the church school cafeteria where the event is held every year.  Look for fliers after the next district meeting.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those who guard their mouths preserve their lives; those who open wide their lips come to ruin. -Proverbs 13:3 (NRSV) Last night, my wife had posted something political on Facebook (which she often does) and had her first experience with someone who vehemently disagreed with her viewpoint, choosing to respond in an angry manner. He accused her of such things as racism (I know my wife and she is no racist) and was "sad" for her. She was upset, called my attention to it and asked me who he was (she had "friended" him because he was a friend of friends and didn't really know him). I didn't know him, but was angered at his nasty little unfounded comment and accusation, firing back from my account that he should reserve his shame for himself. I also questioned why people can't disagree with the present political climate without being labeled racist?  In the back of my mind as I'm posting it, it occurred to me that it was simply venting and would serve n...

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...