Skip to main content

Sticking Together

I recently joined  a new home group called the “Stick Together” group.  I think it is one of the best decisions I have made in some time.  The group shows up everywhere their members are sharing and individuals seem to take an active role in each other’s lives – something I have not witnessed or felt in some time.

Tonight I am going to a local detox to support members that bring a commitment there.  I find myself drawn to the fellowship that I remember form the early days and seem to be craving lately.  I had recently been attending a meeting that felt as though it was slowly dying.  Every time I was there, I felt like I aged a few years.  I am glad that is over.  Whether or not it was me, the group or both (the latter being the likely), I decided to heed my sponsor’s advice and get away from it.  Interestingly. the meeting folded right after I announced I would no longer be attending.  I guess I am not the only one who thought it wasn’t working.

Anyway, I am so happy I joined this very active group.  I can already detect a difference in my attitude for the better.

I thank God for the fellowship that was instrumental in saving my life and continues to be so on a daily basis.

How about you?  Do you have a home group that you think is the best group of all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...