Skip to main content

Spirituality in the Modern World [Revisited]


[Republished from an original post in March 2009 to an old blog of mine]
Typically, it’s far easier to teach a scared person [or one suffering from their own mistakes] spiritual practices that help ease the pain or fears associated with their condition.  It’s like taking up the practice of “foxhole praying” when times are bad… “Get me out of this and I’ll…”

I found an extensive [although undocumented] article on Wikipedia that does a fairly good job at defining spirituality, in terms of what it is and is not.  It’s one of those words that is best defined by what it can do for you rather than what it actually is, much as love is a difficult word to define because of its scope and depth.  Rather than regurgitate what is written there, it might be a good idea to go to Wikipedia.org and read it.

Having been a member of a twelve step fellowship for many years, I have often heard the term bandied about and presented as an absolutely essential part of the recovery program.  In fact, it really is the recovery program.  It is the glue that binds its membership together via their primary purpose of helping those still suffering.

For me in my life, it has become an essential goal to strive for as I attempt to increase my spiritual life in service to others.

Quesak.com says it’s about “gaining insight, knowledge & a better understanding about life.”   I’ll buy that.

I think that quite often there’s a stigma of spirituality being some sort of mumbo jumbo or religious thing that needs to be overcome.  While many associate spirituality with religion (it is a vital part of any religion I know of), it doesn’t necessarily have the same rigid requirements as a belief system that must be adhered to.

My personal quest for spirituality has given me many wonderful things.  I shall attempt to list some of the more important ones that come to mind:

A feeling of togetherness:  I used to have awful feelings of loneliness all the time, like being alone in a crowded room.  That is no longer the case;  I sense a deep connection with like-minded beings around me.

A general sense that everything will be OK, even if it doesn’t feel that way.  Sometimes it takes time to look back and see the reasons things happen or the benefits that sometimes result.  Even financial concerns are not as huge as they used to be, especially when I know I am doing the best I can.

A view of the BIGGER PICTURE…  As I become more and more aware of the tapestry of my life being woven, seeing the various threads and recalling where I was when they were being woven, I witness the big picture taking shape. Then suddenly the things I thought were so important get re-prioritized.

A feeling of purpose… As I see the big picture take focus, I see whose lives I might have touched as our lives intersected and realize some purpose I may have been unable to see.  I have learned they my primary purpose is to be of maximum service to God (as I understand Him).

How about you and your quest for spirituality?  I’d love to hear from you.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Meetings!

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. -Galatians 6:1 (NLT) What Paul writes about has been done for me more than once. I am under obligation to do the same for others. More than an obligation, it should be viewed as a privilege and a pleasure to do so. If I don't, I am doomed to fall back into the same life I lived before. Remember, you can be saved but still be miserable. Also, as James so clearly said, "faith without works is dead." If you want to keep it, give it away. Last week I made a decision to attend more meetings. Over the past few years, I have slowly migrated away from them and taken on more church-related activities. In fact, I had actually got down to pretty much one meeting a week. While that may be OK for some people, I know I need more. I love my Church and it is an importan...

Celebrate Recovery

Last night I went to a "Celebrate Recovery' meeting in Groton,CT at the Lifehouse Foursquare Church. This coming Monday I shall attend another meeting of Celebrate Recovery, this one at the Groton Bible Chapel [I can't seem to get out of Groton most weeknights]. Having spent many years in a mainstream 12 step fellowship, I want to make it plain that I love it and recognize wholeheartedly that I am there as a result of prayer. Moreover, I could never imagine the number of people helped by it who would have otherwise not found any recovery from alcohol or other substances. However, I have been sensing the need for something more Christ-centered and this seems to fit the bill. [I don't want to give the reader the impression that I am replacing my involvement with regular twelve step fellowship meetings with something else; this is meant to augment my recovery--not fundamentally change it]. I will not attempt to explain Celebrate Recovery or offer any in-depth ...